Prophet’s Holy Mosque : great status, gigantic expansions in Saudi era
Madinah, The Prophet's Holy Mosque in Madinah, being visited by pilgrims and Umrah performers to pray in it, has a great status in the hearts of Muslims all over the world.
The Prophet's Holy Mosque, one of the largest mosques in the world, has undergone several expansions throughout history : the era of Caliphs, Umayyad, Abbasid, Ottoman, and later in the era of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
After the unification of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by late King Abdulaziz Al Saud, one of his primary interests was to take care of the affairs of the Two Holy Mosques and carried out several repairs at the Prophet's Mosque, and he announced in 1368 H his intention to expand the Prophet's Mosque and start the project in 1370 H by demolition of buildings adjacent to the Prophet's Mosque, and in the spring of 1374 H celebrated the laying of the foundation stone of the project in the presence of representatives of a number of Islamic countries.
In the year 1375 H, architecture and expansion were completed under the reign of late King Saud bin Abdulaziz.
In the reign of late King Faisal bin Abdulaziz an order was issued to expand the Prophet's Mosque which added 35,000 square meters to the land of the Prophet's Mosque itself, and established a large shaded area to accommodate a number of worshipers similar to the number inside the mosque, and then added an area 5550 square meters as well, to accommodate more worshipers and that was done in the year 1395 H.
In the reign of late King Khalid bin Abdulaziz, a fire took place in the market of "Kmasha" in 1397 AH, which is in the south-west of the Prophet's Mosque and the area was removed and accordingly an area of 43, 000 square meters was added to the space to the Prophet's Mosque as shaded area and part of it allocated as parking lots.
In the reign of late King Fahd bin Abdulaziz, an order was issued to conduct studies for great expansion of the Prophet's Mosque and in 1405 H, the foundation stone was laid for the project of the expansion to include a new building next to the current mosque building. It will be connected to the north, east and west with an area of 82,000 square meters and with that the total area of the Mosque became 98,500 square meters.
In the reign of late King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, the largest expansion throughout history of the Prophet's Mosque was inaugurated, when a foundation stone was laid in addition to the project of umbrellas of the Prophet's Mosque.
Late in 1433 H, Madinah witnessed the largest expansion in the history of the Prophet's Mosque to reach the capacity of accommodating to two million worshippers with the end of the project works.
After the death of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud continued the march in the service of the Two Holy Mosques, stressing the importance of keenness to follow up works in the project of the great expansion of the Prophet's Mosque and related projects, all of which are in the service of Islam and Muslims from around the world as well as the service of people and visitors in Madinah.
Source: Saudi Press Agency