Monday, 11 Nov 2019

Pompeo: US response to Khashoggi’s death will take another few weeks

BAGHDAD, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said a few more weeks would pass before the United States had enough evidence to impose sanctions on the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at his consulate in Istanbul.

Pompeo said in an interview with CMOS radio in St. Louis that President Donald Trump had made it clear that Washington would take action on the incident.

He said the Administration "is reviewing the issue of imposing sanctions on individuals who so far have been able to determine that they are involved in that killing.

It will probably take a few more weeks before we have enough evidence to actually sign those sanctions, but I think we will be able to do that. "

"We are on our way to uncovering the facts," he said. "The president said we will demand accountability for those who committed this heinous crime."

While he stressed that the United States would not condone Khashoggi's death, he said his country had Saudi Arabia "long and deep strategic relations ... and we are determined to ensure that these relations remain."

Former Saudi intelligence chief Prince Turki bin Faisal al-Saud said on Wednesday that US anger at the killing of Khashoggi, which excites the Saudi Arabia, threatens to disrupt strategic relations between the two countries.

"We appreciate our strategic relationship with the United States and hope to preserve it, and we hope the United States will reciprocate," Prince Turki, a member of the ruling family, said in a speech at the National Council on US-Arab Relations.

Source: National Iraqi News Agency

Posts You May Like