Thursday, 9 Apr 2020

Foreign Minister Participates in Disarmament Conference in Geneva

Geneva, Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, participated here today in the Disarmament Conference held in Geneva.

At the outset, Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah affirmed the Kingdom's support for the efforts being exerted to guarantee the success of the conference, paying tribute to the Permanent Representative of the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria Ambassador Rashid Al-Baqqi, for successfully chairing the first session of the conference, and extended thanks to the Director-General of the UN Office in Geneva and the Secretary-General of the Conference.

In a statment, Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah said the Kingdom shares the international community its concerns on the current stalemate and the stumbling that the Disarmament Conference suffers from, as it is the only party concerned with disarmament issues and the one who could prepare the scene for multilateral negotiating bodies.

In addition, the Kingdom calls for a review of the reasons for the faltering of the conference and a transparent study that avoids minilateral stances that could futher derail the mission of the Conference. Also the Minister of Foreign Affairs noted that the Kingdom joined the membership of the International Atomic Energy Agency device on monitoring the implementation of the treaty in 1962; signed the Treaty on the Nonproliferation of Nuclear Weapons in 1988; the comprehensive safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency in 2005 and the Chemical Weapons Convention and the Biological Weapons Convention.

The terrorist attack on oil installations in Abqaiq and Khurais of the Kingdom recently mounted a serious threat to the security of global oil supplies, he said, adding that thanks to the rapid action taken by the Kingdom authorities, Saudi Arabia was able to curb oil prices sharp hikes, repaired damage to oil installations. Iran-backed Houthi terrorist militias are still targeting civilian areas in the Kingdom, he said, citing that the command of the coalition forces has successfully repelled a number of ballistic missiles heading towards a number of Saudi civilian sites last week.

Source: Saudi Press Agency

Posts You May Like