Sunday, 20 Oct 2019

Trump Agrees To Send Defensive Troops

Baghdad, US President Donald Trump has agreed to send US troops of a defensive nature, focusing mainly on air and missile defense after attacks on two oil facilities in Saudi Arabia, the Pentagon said.

A Pentagon statement said no decision had yet been made on specific units to be deployed in the area and the number of troops would be moderate.

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Saturday's September 14 attack on two Saudi oil facilities was a major escalation of Iranian aggression.

Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a news conference that the number of troops to be deployed would not reach thousands, declining to specify how many.

Reuters reported earlier that the Pentagon is considering sending anti-missile batteries, drones and more combat aircraft.

Saudi Arabia has claimed that the attack on the two Aramco oil facilities last Saturday was carried out with Iranian weapons in accordance according to a preliminary investigation, but stopped short of direct accusation against Iran.

Source: National Iraqi News Agency

Posts You May Like