Miami International Holdings Reports November 2022 Trading Results; SPIKES Futures, MIAX Options and MIAX Pearl Equities Set Year-to-Date Volume Records
PRINCETON, N.J., Dec. 7, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Miami International Holdings, Inc. today reported November 2022 trading results for its U.S. exchange subsidiaries – MIAX®, MIAX Pearl® and MIAX Emerald® (together, the MIAX Exchange Group), and Minneapolis Grain Exchange (MGEX).
November 2022 Trading Volume Highlights
- Total U.S. multi-listed options market share for the MIAX Exchange Group reached 13.55%, representing a 2.4% year-over-year (YoY) decrease. A total of 115.1 million multi-listed options contracts were executed on the MIAX Exchange Group, representing a 7.7% decrease YoY and an average daily volume (ADV) of 5.5 million contracts. Total year-to-date (YTD) volume reached 1.2 billion contracts, a decrease of 3.4% from the same period in 2021.
- MIAX Options reported record YTD volume of 501.2 million contracts, up 4.5% from the same period in 2021, with volume reaching 51.2 million contracts in November 2022, a 1.5% YoY increase. Additionally, MIAX Options reported a single day volume record of 3.9 million contracts on November 11, 2022. MIAX Emerald reported YTD volume of 289.9 million contracts, a 17.2% decrease from the same period in 2021, with volume totaling 26.3 million contracts in November 2022, a 34.0% YoY decrease. MIAX Pearl reported YTD volume of 392.4 million contracts, a 0.8% decrease from the same period in 2021, with volume totaling 37.6 million contracts in November 2022, a 9.4% YoY increase.
- In U.S. equities, MIAX Pearl Equities reported volume of 2.4 billion shares in November 2022, representing a 49.2% increase YoY and a monthly market share of 1.02%. Total YTD volume reached a record 27.4 billion shares, a 200.3% increase from the same period in 2021.
- In U.S. futures, MGEX, a Designated Contract Market (DCM) and Derivatives Clearing Organization (DCO), reported trading volume of 235,460 contracts in November 2022, a 44.0% decrease YoY. Total YTD volume reached 3.1 million contracts, a decrease of 14.5% from the same period in 2021.
- SPIKES® Futures YTD volume reached a record 752,135 contracts, an 11.4% increase YoY. SPIKES Futures volume totaled 34,092 contracts in November 2022, representing a 75.1% decrease YoY and an average daily volume of 1,623 contracts.
Additional MIAX Exchange Group and MGEX volume details are included in the following tables.
|Multi-Listed Options Trading Volume for
MIAX Exchange Group, Current Month
|Multi-Listed Options Contracts||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg||Oct-22||% Chg||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg|
|U.S. Equity Options Industry||849,328,703||898,166,403||-5.4 %||829,648,516||2.4 %||8,801,910,138||8,572,267,870||2.7 %|
|MIAX Exchange Group||115,108,818||124,657,770||-7.7 %||107,262,817||7.3 %||1,183,525,471||1,225,107,555||-3.4 %|
|MIAX Options||51,219,220||50,452,313||1.5 %||46,440,650||10.3 %||501,205,712||479,737,515||4.5 %|
|MIAX Pearl||37,617,916||34,378,589||9.4 %||35,849,633||4.9 %||392,385,775||395,367,282||-0.8 %|
|MIAX Emerald||26,271,682||39,826,868||-34.0 %||24,972,534||5.2 %||289,933,984||350,002,758||-17.2 %|
|Multi-Listed Options ADV||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg||Oct-22||% Chg||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg|
|U.S. Equity Options Industry||40,444,224||42,769,829||-5.4 %||39,507,072||2.4 %||38,269,175||37,270,730||2.7 %|
|MIAX Exchange Group||5,481,372||5,936,084||-7.7 %||5,107,753||7.3 %||5,145,763||5,326,555||-3.4 %|
|MIAX Options||2,439,010||2,402,491||1.5 %||2,211,460||10.3 %||2,179,155||2,085,815||4.5 %|
|MIAX Pearl||1,791,329||1,637,076||9.4 %||1,707,125||4.9 %||1,706,025||1,718,988||-0.8 %|
|MIAX Emerald||1,251,032||1,896,518||-34.0 %||1,189,168||5.2 %||1,260,583||1,521,751||-17.2 %|
|Multi-Listed Options Market Share for
MIAX Exchange Group, Current Month
|Multi-Listed Options Market Share||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg||Oct-22||% Chg||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg|
|MIAX Exchange Group||13.55 %||13.88 %||-2.4 %||12.93 %||4.8 %||13.45 %||14.29 %||-5.9 %|
|MIAX Options||6.03 %||5.62 %||7.4 %||5.60 %||7.7 %||5.69 %||5.60 %||1.7 %|
|MIAX Pearl||4.43 %||3.83 %||15.7 %||4.32 %||2.5 %||4.46 %||4.61 %||-3.3 %|
|MIAX Emerald||3.09 %||4.43 %||-30.2 %||3.01 %||2.8 %||3.29 %||4.08 %||-19.3 %|
|Equities Trading Volume for
MIAX Pearl Equities, Current Month
|Equities Shares (millions)||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg||Oct-22||% Chg||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg|
|U.S. Equities Industry||236,072||233,151||1.3 %||241,264||-2.2 %||2,753,705||2,632,915||4.6 %|
|MIAX Pearl Volume||2,403||1,610||49.2 %||2,595||-7.4 %||27,406||9,126||200.3 %|
|MIAX Pearl ADV||114||77||49.2 %||124||-7.4 %||119||40||200.3 %|
|MIAX Pearl Market Share||1.02 %||0.69 %||47.4 %||1.08 %||-5.4 %||1.00 %||0.35 %||187.1 %|
|Futures & Options Trading Volume for
MGEX, Current Month
|Futures & Options Contracts||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg||Oct-22||% Chg||Nov-22||Nov-21||% Chg|
|MGEX Futures Volume||235,460||420,826||-44.0 %||184,807||27.4 %||3,126,961||3,657,950||-14.5 %|
|MGEX ADV||11,212||20,039||-44.0 %||8,800||27.4 %||13,595||15,904||-14.5 %|
MIAX’s parent holding company, Miami International Holdings, Inc., owns Miami International Securities Exchange, LLC (MIAX®), MIAX PEARL, LLC (MIAX Pearl®), MIAX Emerald, LLC (MIAX Emerald®), Minneapolis Grain Exchange, LLC (MGEX), The Bermuda Stock Exchange (BSX) and Dorman Trading, LLC (Dorman Trading).
MIAX, MIAX Pearl and MIAX Emerald are national securities exchanges registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) that are enabled by MIAX’s in-house built, proprietary technology. MIAX offers trading of options on all three exchanges as well as cash equities through MIAX Pearl Equities. The MIAX trading platform was built to meet the high-performance quoting demands of the U.S. options trading industry and is differentiated by throughput, latency, reliability and wire-order determinism. MIAX also serves as the exclusive exchange venue for cash-settled options on the SPIKES® Volatility Index (Ticker: SPIKE), a measure of the expected 30-day volatility in the SPDR® S&P 500® ETF (SPY).
MGEX is a registered exchange with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and offers trading in a variety of products including Hard Red Spring Wheat Futures and also serves as the exclusive market for SPIKES Futures. MGEX is a Designated Contract Market (DCM) and Derivatives Clearing Organization (DCO) under the CFTC, providing DCM, DCO and cash market services in an array of asset classes.
BSX is a fully electronic, vertically integrated international securities market headquartered in Bermuda and organized in 1971. BSX specializes in the listing and trading of capital market instruments such as equities, debt issues, funds, hedge funds, derivative warrants, and insurance linked securities.
Dorman Trading is a full-service Futures Commission Merchant registered with the CFTC.
MIAX’s executive offices and National Operations Center are located in Princeton, N.J., with additional offices located in Miami, FL, Minneapolis, MN, Hamilton, Bermuda and Chicago, IL.
To learn more about MIAX visit www.MIAXOptions.com.
To learn more about MGEX visit www.mgex.com.
To learn more about BSX visit www.bsx.com.
To learn more about Dorman Trading visit www.dormantrading.com.
Disclaimer and Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
The press release shall not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities of Miami International Holdings, Inc. (together with its subsidiaries, the Company), and shall not constitute an offer, solicitation or sale in any state or jurisdiction in which such offer; solicitation or sale would be unlawful. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements describe future expectations, plans, results, or strategies and are generally preceded by words such as “may,” “future,” “plan” or “planned,” “will” or “should,” “expected,” “anticipates,” “draft,” “eventually” or “projected.” You are cautioned that such statements are subject to a multitude of risks and uncertainties that could cause future circumstances, events, or results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements, including the risks that actual results may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements.
All third-party trademarks (including logos and icons) referenced by the Company remain the property of their respective owners. Unless specifically identified as such, the Company’s use of third-party trademarks does not indicate any relationship, sponsorship, or endorsement between the owners of these trademarks and the Company. Any references by the Company to third-party trademarks is to identify the corresponding third-party goods and/or services and shall be considered nominative fair use under the trademark law.
Andy Nybo, SVP, Chief Communications Officer